Application Portal Opens: 1 February 2022
Application Deadline: 28 February 2022
Apply for the Most sort after, 2022 Carnegie PhD Awards at St. Andrews University for the 2022/23 learning year.
This prestigious Carnegie PhD Scholarship scheme supports a limited number of graduates, with first class Honour degrees from a Scottish university, who wish to pursue three years of postgraduate research leading to a PhD at a university in Scotland. There is no restriction on the subject or field.
Who can apply for 2022 Carnegie PhD Awards at St. Andrews University:
You are eligible to be nominated for this award by a Scottish university if:
- you already hold, or are on track to graduate with a First Class Honours degree from one of the eligible host organisations in Scotland;
- Organisations: Aberdeen, Abertay, Dundee, Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier, Glasgow, Glasgow Caledonian, Heriot-Watt, Highlands and Islands, Queen Margaret, Robert Gordon, St Andrews, Stirling, Strathclyde, West of Scotland;
- Glasgow School of Art;
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
- This undergraduate degree is in a subject related to the academic field of your proposed doctoral research;
- you have been accepted on a doctoral programme at one of the eligible host organisations;
- this doctoral programme will start in the coming academic year (2022-23).
Duration of award (fulltime study):36 months standard, 42 months in specific cases
Duration of award (part time study):72 months standard, 84 months n specific cases
Number of awards each year:12-15 PhD Scholarships
Duration of award
Scholarships are normally awarded for 36 months (3 years) for full-time study. See regulations on the Carnegie Trust website for details about part-time study.
Value of award (per year)
Tuition fees at standard UKRI Home fee rate and stipend of £17,400 per annum (2021-2022 rate, to be adjusted for inflation), plus up to £3,000 research-related allowance during the tenure of the award (subject to conditions).
Domicile for fee status
Level of study
Year of entry
Entrants in 2022
To Access Grant: UK
How to Apply:
- Apply for a PhD place at the University of St Andrews by completing the research application form.
- Advise your prospective supervisor that you wish to be considered for nomination for the Carnegie PhD Scholarships. If you are later nominated by the University, your supervisor will be required to submit part of your Carnegie application during the last week of February (see below) so please make sure they are potentially available to do this.
- Complete the internal Carnegie PhD Scholarship application form, available in the Scholarships and Funding catalogue, by Thursday 13 January 2022.
- After you have applied for your chosen Postgraduate Research course, you can apply for scholarships and funding by logging into My Application. After applying for your chosen course beginning in the 2022-2023 academic year, you must allow at least five working days for processing and issue of your log in details before you can apply for this scholarship.
- If you are a current student at St Andrews, you can access Scholarships and Funding through MySaint. However, you should wait until after you have applied for your intended postgraduate programme before doing so, to ensure that the scholarship application is linked to that course.
Check Here for More Details on Requirements and Further Assistance.