Closing Dates: 31st March 2023
Great News! The Centre of African Studies is pleased to announce the extension of the GDAI PhD Study Award at University London. This study award is funded by the he Mo Ibrahim Foundation to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa.
Applications are invited for PhD studentships whose focus are on the area of state capacities, governance and bureaucracy for development. This may include projects designed to understand public sector governance capabilities, political settlements, state business relations, the governance of state owned enterprises, the governance of development policy design and implementation etc.
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School.
The Centre of African Studies GDAI PhD Study Award at University London 2023 Study Criteria:
- Candidates must be domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country.
- Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub‐Saharan Africa.
Entry Requirements for The Centre of African Studies GDAI PhD Study Award at University London 2023:
Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Scholarship:
- PhD: The scholarship is on a part‐present form and it provides for fees for three years. However, accommodation and living cost are covered for the first year only.
- The scholarship will also cover in total 2 return flights : one during the first year, and one for the viva (plus one week’s accommodation around the viva).
- In year 2 and year 3, the successful candidate will also receive an annual stipend of £5,000.
- We also cover visa cost, provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office.
- We expect students to be on fieldwork during the second year, and to write the thesis in the third year in their country of origin.
Duration of Scholarship: 3 years
To apply for this study grants, applicants are expected to check more details about the scholarship here, before filling the online application form.
The guidance notes can be downloaded on the right hand side of this page.
A copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
– CV (please include your email address)
– 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
– Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
– please inform us about your Referee name (name + affiliated institution) and instruct them to send your reference letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org