REFOREST PhD Scholarships application process at Sokoine University in Tanzania. Learn the best way to apply for the REFOREST PhD Scholarships for the academic year 2020/2021, via Sokoine University Scholarship Portal.
If you are reading this, it means you have heard about the REFOREST PhD Scholarships 2020.
In this article, we are going to systematically outline the right way to apply for the REFOREST PhD Scholarships for interested and qualified applicants.
Regional Research School in Forest Sciences (REFOREST) is an innovative, interdisciplinary and unique regional PhD degree program for training of future generation forest scientists in Africa. The Sida funded program is hosted at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) and is conducted in partnership with universities in Eastern and Southern Africa and in collaboration with the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU).
The PhD program is organized in partnership with Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences – SLU (Sweden), Eduardo Mondlane University (Mozambique), National University of Rwanda (Rwanda), Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (Hawassa University -Ethiopia) and Makerere University (Uganda).
Research Themes: Students will undertake research in one of the following thematic areas:
- Commercial forestry and bio-economy – tree growing as business, tree improvement and silviculture, forest health and protection, forest products development, marketing, forest products value chains, sustainable forest management;
- Natural forests management – Ecological and socio-economic aspects, biodiversity conservation, bio-energy, climate change, REDD+, Payment for Ecosystem Services, forest land policy and ownership as well as forest-land-water relations; and
- Agroforestry, forest-agriculture interactions and synergies, and conflict management.
Cross-cutting areas for all the themes include gender, policy, livelihoods, forest governance, forest sector modeling, environmental and economic sustainability. Particular attention are placed on areas requiring more interdisciplinary research approaches, e.g. climate-forest issues, land use conflicts, market system analyses, poverty alleviation potentials of various forest/tree products and services, economic/social/ecological aspects of forestry, food and nutrition security.
Many applicants have been asking us questions like;
- How Can I Apply for REFOREST PhD Scholarships?
- Is the REFOREST PhD Scholarships Form out?
- When will the Sokoine University Scholarship start?
- I need a Sokoine University Scholarship update, etc.
- Sokoine University Scholarship Portal.
Eligible Nationalities and Benefits
This scholarship is only open to students from countries in Eastern and Southern Africa.
Number of Awards: 20
Value of Award: Successful scholarship candidates will apply for PhD admission at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
Duration of Award:
- The sponsorship covers a maximum of four years, and will commence in October, 2020.
- The Program comprises one year of course work and three years of research and thesis writing.
Eligible candidates are from Eastern and Southern Africa. In the year 2020-2024 citizens of Ethiopia, Mozambique, Rwanda Tanzania and Uganda will be prioritized for sponsorships, female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be admitted into and enrolled at Sokoine University of Agriculture. The Program comprises one year of course work and three years of research and thesis writing. Students are encouraged to carry out the PhD research in their home countries.
How to Apply
Submit a letter indicating the theme of interest (Theme 1, 2 or 3 above), and attach the following: (i) research concept note of maximum 2,000 words (covering introduction, knowledge gap(s), research objectives, research methodology and expected outcomes)
(ii) Endorsed copies of certificates and academic transcripts
(iii) Your Curriculum Vitae and
(iv) Names of two academic referees.
Send your application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further clarification, contact Program Coordinator at E-mail: email@example.com.
Short-listed candidates will be notified by 1st August, 2020, and where applicable they will be required to improve their concept note. Subsequently they will all be required to present themselves for an interview session conducted from 17th to 21st of August, 2020 at their respective partner universities.
Visit Award Webpage for Details
The deadline for the scholarship award application is 2nd July 2020 at 15.30 East Africa Time (EAT). Applicants should ensure they submit their applications on or before the specified date/time.