African Scholarships at University of Pretoria application process at University of Pretoria in the United Kingdom. Learn the best way to apply for the African Scholarships at University of Pretoria for the academic year 2020/2021, via University of Pretoria Scholarship Portal.
If you are reading this, it means you have heard about the African Scholarships at University of Pretoria 2020.
In this article, we are going to systematically outline the right way to apply for the African Scholarships at University of Pretoria for interested and qualified applicants.
The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria offers an LLM/MPhil Disability Rights in Africa (DRIA) degree program as one of its Master’s programs.
The program was launched in 2018 and is the first master’s degree program in Africa focusing specifically on the rights of persons with disabilities in Africa.
The program explores disability rights from a human rights perspective relying on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the newly adopted ‘Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Africa’ (the African Disability Protocol).
The program is open to individuals from diverse professional backgrounds including disability rights advocates, lawyers, researchers, social activists and educators. Students will be empowered to develop new legislation, jurisprudence, policy, research, and scholarship to harness the available innovations and opportunities.
In particular, students will be empowered to:
- Challenge rights violations by drafting enforceable legislation consistent with the CRPD and the African Disability Protocol
- Utilize enforcement mechanisms set forth in the CRPD and the African Disability Protocol
- Further disability rights litigation in need of CRPD and the African Disability Protocol-compliant remedies
- Involve themselves in disability rights advocacy and
- Develop education, law, or other academic curricula well-versed by the CRPD and the Protocol.
This two-year program is offered as a blended learning course comprising of online
interaction and residential block-weeks in Pretoria. Two (2) contact sessions will be slated every year (four (4) contact sessions over the duration of two years). The first of which will be in March 2021.
Many applicants have been asking us questions like;
- How Can I Apply for African Scholarships at University of Pretoria?
- Is the African Scholarships at University of Pretoria Form out?
- When will the University of Pretoria Scholarship start?
- I need a University of Pretoria Scholarship update, etc.
- University of Pretoria Scholarship Portal.
All courses offered at the university.
Eligible Nationalities and Benefits
This scholarship is only open to students in African countries.
Value of Award: A highly limited number scholarship awards (3 full scholarships) will be made available for African citizens.
- LLM degree requirements
The Master’s degree LLM in Disability Rights in Africa degree is available for individuals with an LLB degree or equivalent.
- MPhil degree requirements
The MPhil degree is available to non-lawyers with nothing less than an honors degree in any academic line relevant to disability rights in Africa, OR any other qualification in any academic line relevant to disability rights in Africa that permits admission to a master’s program at the institution where the undergraduate qualification had been obtained. If that said qualification has a duration that is not up to four (4) years, substantial proven practical or professional familiarity in disability rights in Africa, subject to the discretion of the Dean, is further required.
- Other relevant requirements
foreign qualifications are to be subjected to South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) requirements.
Candidates must have outstanding academic credentials and exhibit human rights experience or piqued interest.
A maximum of fifteen (!5) applicants will be accepted for the 2021 academic session.
How to Apply
- Click here to read about the application process
- Click here to apply online (please note – you must create an account on the Submittable platform before you can apply).
The deadline for the scholarship award application is 30 June 2020. Applicants should ensure they submit their applications on or before the specified date.