Bilateral Masters Scholarships application process at Wits University in South Africa. Learn the best way to apply for the Bilateral Masters Scholarships for the academic year 2020/2021, via Wits University Scholarship Portal.
If you are reading this, it means you have heard about the Bilateral Masters Scholarships 2020.
In this article, we are going to systematically outline the right way to apply for the Bilateral Masters Scholarships for interested and qualified applicants.
The bilateral Wits-TUB Urban Lab program supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic
Cooperation and Development and German Academic Exchange Service plans to develop graduate education in urban disciplines across sub-Saharan Africa. Both lead partners, the School of Architecture and Planning at University of the Witwatersrand, and the Habitat Unit at the School of Architecture of the Technische Universität Berlin have a new urban-oriented graduate and postgraduate training and capacity building scheme that would effectively address the challenges and needs detailed below.
The scheme which includes bilateral exchange activities such as seminars and conferences will be executed in the Wits-TUB Urban Lab and will place focus on four (4) innovation areas that target SDG implementation in urban fields:
- Politics and policy of the urban
- Understanding complex urban systems
- Managing change processes
- Co-producing knowledge between theory and practice (Wits-TUB Urban Studio)
Many applicants have been asking us questions like;
- How Can I Apply for Bilateral Masters Scholarships?
- Is the Bilateral Masters Scholarships Form out?
- When will the Wits University Scholarship start?
- I need a Wits University Scholarship update, etc.
- Wits University Scholarship Portal.
The master’s scholarship award applies to the following 1 year full time degree programs at Wits University in Johannesburg, duly supported by a bilateral scheme with the TU in Berlin:
- MSc Development Planning (MSc DP)
- MUS (SEEC) – Master of Urban Studies in the field of Sustainable Energy Efficient Cities
- MUS (HHS) – Master of Urban Studies in the field of Housing and Human Settlements
- MUS (UPG) – Master of Urban Studies in the field of Urban Politics and Governance
- MUS (UM) – Master of Urban Studies in the field of Urban Management
Up to seven (7) scholarship awards out of eleven (11) are marked for MUS (Urban Management).
Please, kindly note that once the program is completed, the degree certificates are issued by Wits University. Thus, they are not joint degree programs as such.
Eligible Nationalities and Benefits
This scholarship is only open to students from African Countries.
Number of Awards: 11
Value of Award: Successful applicants will be required to sign a contract that stipulates the conditions of the scholarship award. The scholarship award includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Monthly stipend (living expenses including: subsistence expenses, accommodation, other costs)
- Travel fares from home country/place of origin is covered by the award.
- Costs of Summer/Spring School in Berlin
The scholarship awardees will benefit from guest lectures, joint supervision structure, as well as a summer school at Wits University.
Duration of Program: The master’s scholarship covers the period of one academic year.
Scholarships are open to:
- This award is available for candidates who are citizens of sub-Saharan African nations other than South Africa.
- Applicants must possess the requisite qualifications for admission into the respective master program
- Award of the scholarships is based on merit and to some extent even distribution across the continent as well as gender balance.
There is no age limit that applies to the scholarship awards for study purposes. However, at the time of the candidate application, no more than six (6) years should have passed since a candidate graduated from his/her previous bachelor or master degree program.
All scholarship candidates must have applied for admission to the applicable degree programs (as per the above list) at Wits University and have in possession, a ‘person number’ which is duly issued by Wits University upon application for admission into a degree program.
How to Apply
- Every candidate has to fill in the first basic Application form before they can get access to the full form.
- The whole of the application process (which includes online access to the application form) can be accessed via the link below.
Visit Program Webpage for Details
The deadline for the scholarship award application is 31st July 2020. Applicants should ensure they submit their applications on or before the specified date.